OUR ERASMUS + PROJECT
HELLO EUROPEAN ISLANDS
Context/background of our project
Partners in our project have collaborated with European colleagues across Europe for over a decade, some of the engagement transpired through involvement in the Comenius programme. We are passionate about European exchange, co-operation and learning. The experience gained through previous programmes led to teaching and learning being enriched by increased inclusion of the European dimension. The project idea grew through discourse based on recognising a need for enhanced engagement with STEAMM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, Maths and Mental Health) on our island schools. The project captured the imagination of each member island, as soon as the seed for this project was planted, we, as colleagues across Europe began choosing roles in this project based on the skills of our schools and we feel excited and ready to get our STEAMM engine on the tracks.
The schools involved
Objectives of our project
Our project aims to enhance the teaching and learning that takes place in our schools by sharing the innovative practices which we use across the member islands. There is a particular focus on STEAMM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, Maths and Mental Health). We aim to enable teachers and pupils grow their abilities in all of the STEAMM subjects. The project aims to achieve this through technology embedded in teaching and learning. Through engagement with this project the member islands will modernise the quality of our teaching. The project aims to cultivate and foster a love and esteem of the islands on which we live. Building on this development of appreciation of our islands, the project members consider it crucial to promote European values and enable the pupils and teachers to feel like an important part of the European Union.
- 16 teachers from the schools project came to Porquerolles island for 4 days.
- They were welcome in the school by the pupils with songs.
- A display was held in the town hall around the subject of the moment (Maths : surveys and statistics) . Pupils, families and local community were invited to come and share an informal moment.
- Teachers attend workshops, one about drawing landscape form Fort Ste Agathe (with the help of th PNPC), another one about creating a micro movie in Arts.
- They also been welcomed in Excelsior's school, on the main land, to participate at a different way of teaching Maths.
- Mr Giran, mayor of Hyeres, received the group in Hyeres ' town hall.